“Cancer,” is often whispered in hushed, sad tones. But staying quiet about cancer won’t make it go away. In fact, the more you know about cancer, the better you can protect yourself and your family.
There are many potential factors that lead to the development of cancer, including chemicals, infection, inherited genetic issues, and exposure to other dangerous environmental factors. While there is no surefire way to prevent cancer, you can make certain lifestyle choices that will reduce your risk for many types of cancers.
- Get regular check-ups and screenings (especially in advanced age).
- Don’t smoke or use tobacco products.
- Limit your alcohol intake.
- Wear sunscreen SPF 15 or higher and avoid prolonged exposure to UV rays from the sun and tanning beds.
- Eat plenty of fruits, vegetables, and whole grains.
- Maintain a healthy weight.
- Exercise at least 30 minutes a day.
- Get educated.
- Get vaccinated. The HPV (human papillomavirus) vaccine can greatly reduce a woman’s risk for cervical cancers and some vaginal and vulvar cancers. Getting the hepatitis B vaccine may lower your risk for liver cancer.
Not all cancers can be caught with early screening. Of those that can be detected, early treatment can improve your odds of beating some types of cancer. Screening for the following can improve your odds:
- Breast cancer
- Cervical cancer
- Colon cancer
You should get screened at least every other year after age 40 for breast cancer. A yearly Pap smear can catch cervical cancer early enough for effective treatment. Colon screening can detect polyps that may become cancerous. Getting them removed can help you avoid developing colon cancer.
Learn more about Cancer Prevention and Screening at St. Petersburg General Hospital. On Thursday, November 3, 2011, at 6 pm, you can hear Dr. Robert J. Miller, Board Certified Internal Medicine and Therapeutic Radiology, speak about screening for and preventing cancer. This is a free event and will take place at:
Brentwood Senior Living
6280 Central Avenue Building C
St. Petersburg, FL 33703
Click here to register and get more information.