Occupational therapy can have life-changing benefits for those who struggle with their daily activities due to physical or mental disabilities. Whether you need help navigating the world with your new wheelchair, or you're suffering from memory loss or cognitive problems after a stroke, an occupational therapist can help guide you through you transitional period and teach you how to continue living a life you enjoy as independently as possible. There are many benefits to occupational therapy. Consider the following:
- Help your child receive the best education possible. A disability doesn't spell the end of your child's education. Whether he is mentally or physically handicapped, an occupational therapist can help your child develop effective study habits and safely make his way around his school. An occupational therapist can also work with parents, teachers, or tutors to encourage a helpful learning environment for the student.
- Learn how to make your home accessible. If you are adjusting to life with a wheelchair or other new equipment, your home may feel more like an obstacle course than a nurturing living environment. An occupational therapist will work with you to make your home easy to move through, and she'll help you reorganize your possessions so they are easily accessible.
- Keep working despite a disability. Many new challenges don't need to translate to loss of a job. With the help of your occupational therapist, you could learn how to continue your career despite the new challenges in front of you.
- Don't give up on your hobbies and enjoyments outside the home. Vacations, shopping trips, and local community involvement don't need to become a thing of the past. Get expert advice on how to continue your life to the fullest.
- Overcome communication and memory problems. When a disability affects your brain, you may feel like you are fighting an invincible monster. An occupational therapist knows the tips and tricks you need to jump over mental hurdles and communicate effectively with family and friends.
April is Occupational Therapy Month! Would you or someone in your family benefit from the help of an occupational therapist? Learn more about all the rehabilitation services at St. Petersburg General Hospital by visiting our website or contacting our free Consult-A-Nurse® service at 1-888-741-5122. We can answer your questions or provide you with a physician referral.