The stores set out holiday decorations earlier every year; don’t let the season stress you out.
Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, Hanukkah, New Year’s, and more seem to rush in one right after another. The parties, gifts, travel, and family gatherings can be stressful. Cutting down stress is a sure way to make your holiday season a merry one.
Holiday Stress Less Tips
- Save money with creative gifts. Give one larger gift the whole family can enjoy, or small gifts that appeal to individual personalities. For a fun and cost free gift, vouchers for chores, favors, or future treats can be fun and sweet.
- Stay calm with customer service. From canceled air travel to tracking deliveries, keep your cool and you’re much more likely to resolve your issue.
- Sing along to holiday music while your decorate, clean, or relax to make the holidays more fun and festive.
- Don’t feel like a turkey by running out of bird. Plan for about 1 pound per person, more if you want leftovers. Two smaller turkeys will defrost and cook faster than one giant one.
- Set realistic expectations. You can’t accomplish every holiday event you see in the movies. Focus on family and remember that what seems like a disaster at the time will make a great story next year!
- Start a new holiday tradition that everyone will enjoy to bring the family together.
- Divide up chores and tasks so everyone is involved in making the holiday sparkle.
- It’s okay to turn down invitations, just send your best regards.
- Stick to normal daily routines as much as possible to keep everyone on track.
- Schedule in time for fun and relaxation so you don’t let other obligations take all of your time.
- Remember to exercise and eat right to feel your best.
Visit our online health library for more great tips about managing holiday stress. If you have any questions or would like a physician referral, please call our free Consult-A-Nurse® service at 1-888-741-5222.